Friday, December 7, 2018

Tom Sturdivant - The 29th Met Pitcher


     Tom Sturdivant was signed as a free agent by the Mets on May 10th, 1964, after being previously released by the Kansas City A's.  "The Snake" pitched in 28.2 relief innings for the Mets at the tune of a 5.97 ERA.  Sturdivant didn't have much left by the time he made it to Shea.  He was released on Jun 27, 1964.  Tom finished out the season in the Houston's minors system and retired at seasons end.  Mr. Sturdivant passed away on February 28, 2009.  




     I'm not quite sure how I ended up with so many Sturdivant baseballs.  I kept watching auctions and picking up a ball that I liked slightly better than the one I had on display.  I really like the nickname ball, but the ink seems to be fading more than I would like.  I guess I have extra balls for trading purposes.  It seems you always have to pay a premium for dead Yankee players on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment