Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Jay Hook - The 10th Met Pitcher


                               

    

     Jay Hook was acquired from Cincinnati in the premium portion of the '61 expansion draft.  Jay went 12-34 with a 5.34 ERA during his Met tenure.   Hook was dealt to Milwaukee on May 8th of 1964, in exchange for defensive shortstop Roy McMillan.   Jay walked away from the game at age 27, using his degree from Northwestern to pursue a job in Engineering.  



     Jay Hook was my favorite of the original Mets.   I remember trading for his '62 Topps card.  It seemed so old, even in 1986.  I don't remember what I traded, but I treasured that card for years.   The   bottom ball was purchased off of eBay.   The top Memorial day ball was acquired via mail from Mr. Hook himself in June of 2018.   He even wrote me a long letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment